Sunday, March 7, 2010

Blog Assignment #8

Randy Pausch’s Last Lecture:

The first time that I watched this video was 2 ½ years ago. My best friend’s mother had just been diagnosed with cancer. She asked us to watch this video. As I watch this video again today, I am reminded that she had the same spirit as Randy. She didn’t want to dwell on the fact that she had cancer; she just wanted to live her life to the fullest while she was still here. She died 6 months later.
This lecture is truly inspirational. It makes you think of your own childhood dreams and whether or not you have accomplished them. As I look back on my own childhood dreams, I realize that I have not accomplished all of mine. One of my childhood dreams was to dance the lead in Sleeping Beauty. My mom and dad put me in dance at the age of 3. As I continued my training, I realized that I would have to dedicate myself to accomplish this dream. In high school I realized that this particular childhood dream would not come true. I tore my ACL in my right knee. The doctor told me that I had to quit dance or become crippled.
The techniques that Randy uses in this lecture are excellent tools for teachers. I believe the techniques used in this lecture are to introduce the elephant in the room, define the scope of the lecture, have a strong conclusion, be enthusiastic about what your teaching, and don’t be afraid to get personal. These techniques are very useful for teachers. You have to know how to have fun while teaching your students. Enthusiasm while teaching can help your students get more out of the lesson. If you’re excited about it, then your students can latch on to that excitement and learn more. Introducing the elephant in the room can be anything. Whether it’s the lesson, or anything else, identifying it earlier will help. Having a strong conclusion and recapping what you have taught throughout the lesson can help your students retain more information. Don’t be afraid to get personal with your students.

No comments:

Post a Comment