Sunday, February 21, 2010

Blog Assignment #6

Dr. Christie’s website:

I read about Dr. Christie’s classes, specifically on web design. There is a lot that I as a future teacher could do with a web site. If the school allows me to create a website for my classroom, then there are endless opportunities for the students and the parents. I could do a weekly recap for the parents on what I covered in class. I could have the students do the weekly recap as a group project. I could post the homework so the parents know what their child should be doing. I could post a calendar of what’s to come so if there is a child out sick, the parent can go on the website and see what they are learning in class. I could also post make-up work, class notes, study guides and so on. The possibilities are endless for the teacher.

The student has endless possibilities to a class web site. The teacher could set up a class chat for the students to talk about their assignments, work on group projects. The student could use the website as a tool for the class. They could know the assignments on a week to week basis. They would have the opportunity to communicate with other students if they needed help or to communicate with the teacher.


Itunes U:
After reading about Itunes U, there are many possibilities for teachers and students. The teacher can upload lectures from class for students, upload podcasts, and upload homework assignments, and so on. They can learn new ways to give lectures. Learn new ways to teach an old subject. As I said in Dr. Christie’s post, the teacher could put make up work on their. The teacher could do weekly or monthly wrap ups about the material covered.
As for students, this gives you a way to get information from class on a medium just about everyone knows how to use. The student can check up on assignments, listen to lectures, and check for study guides or handouts. I think it would be helpful because you wouldn’t have to go to more than one website to get all your information for class.
click hereto go to a website I visited on iTunes U.
click hereto go to another website I visited on iTunes U.




iPods:
WOW!!! I never have considered the use of my ipod for school. Reading these articles makes me want to get out my ipod and see what I can do. This kind of technology could be very helpful in classrooms. Imagine the possibilities for students who have learning disabilities. They could record the lecture and then be able to listen to it till they can understand it. To have students record themselves reading and the teacher making a CD so the parents can hear what their child did that day in school is amazing!

The Duke experiment was very interesting. I have learned there are many uses for the iPod by taking this course. I have never used the podcast on my iPod till this semester. To have the ability to listen to podcasts while I have down time with out the computer is great. Using the calendar function on the iPod keeps me connected to the class calendar on the class blog. There are more ways to use the newer iPods that have come out. Being able to record lectures, interviews, capture photos, the uses are endless. I think incorporating the iPod in the class room would be a useful tool. Being able to record what a student can do and put it on CD for the parents is priceless. Using the iPod to have flash cards for students can help improve down time on the ride home, buses, even walking to class. Here are the links to the articles that I read.
click hereto go to an article on Duke University's use on iPods.
click hereto go to an article on iPods in the classroom.

2 comments:

  1. You are correct, a website is an awesome tool for a teacher. If the school does not allow it remember what Ms. Hines said and approach the administration with doing it as a project that will benefit the entire class. SS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know the ipod was capable of doing all those things either. I do not own one YET but I think it is something to look into.

    ReplyDelete